Having come to the midpoint of the 40 Day Great and Holy Fast, let me reflect:
- Have I accepted Great Lent as a “gift” from God, with thanksgiving?
- Have I spent the last three weeks in a meaningfully different way?
- Have I participated in the lenten services that are held during the week, Monday through Friday?
- Have I used the lenten prayer of Saint Ephraim in my morning and evening prayers, and at other times throughout the day?
- In addition to the Holy Scriptures, what kind of spiritual reading have I done? Have I learned more about my Faith? Have a read spiritual works which can help me in my prayers, dealing with others, and spiritual faults and needs?
- Am I preparing myself to make a good, honest, and humble Confession? Do I really believe that I am confessing my sins to Jesus Christ? Am I aware that the Lord sees my inner heart and will know if I only recite my sins, instead of being truly sorrowful and deeply committed to avoid repeating them?
- In what ways will I struggle in the second part of Great Lent that I have so far left unattended?
- Am I willing to die to my old self in order to live in Christ? Am I willing to trade the earth for heaven? Am I willing to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him to His heavenly Kingdom?