Saturday, February 21
Ten Tips for the Great Fast...
1. Regardless of how you fast, fast every single day. This type of fasting helps wear down the passions and build spiritual endurance.
2. Know exactly what the fasting regulations are and try to approximate them as best you can. Each Lent, try to be more strict yet humble.
3. Particular concerns about fasting? Age, health issues, never fasted before, mixed-marriages? Speak with your priest.
4. Be sure to recite the Lenten prayer of Saint Ephraim. If you cannot make prostrations just make bows or cross yourself.
5. On weekends, we do not make prostrations and our fasting is slightly relaxed since Saturday and Sunday are holy days.
6. The Lenten services and tones are offered only during the week –
strive to participate as much as possible in these services and the spirit of lent will rub off on you.
7. Sports and outdoor activities are not contrary to the Lenten spirit.
8. Strive to avoid going to movies, parties, vacations, and other entertainments. This we do so we can have more time to devote to spiritual things.
9. Confession and Holy Communion are central to securing the benefits of Lent. Without fail, we should receive the Sacraments during the period of Great Lent.
10. Be mindful of what we look at and how much time we spend on TV and computer. Some give up TV for all of Lent. Others strictly limit their time and watch only educational and news programs. Surfing on the web? Hit the theological sites.