Best Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Yields: 12 biscuits, if you’re careful about apportioning out the dough
Time to make: ~25 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 stick + 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use 1 T. of white vinegar per cup of milk to make my own)
- parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Melt the 1 stick butter and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and the buttermilk, and stir until clumps form.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until just incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a ¼ cup dry measure, scoop out and drop 12 balls of dough onto the baking sheet (this is easier if you spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray).
- Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 14 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits with the butter before serving.
Notes: This recipe is from the November-December 2007 issue of Cook’s Illustrated Magazine via Simply Cooking.
Sunday, January 18
Biscuits for Breakfast, Lunch and Even Dinner...
Posted by MamaBirdEmma at 11:40 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
thanks for the recipe. I have always wanted to make biscuits. My husband said we will try to make them this week!! Thanks again! :-)
They sound delicious! I looove buttermilk!
Ah, this looks good!
Biscuits have been a standby for my family for years-but it's been a long time since I've made drop biscuits, and your recipe looks lovely! It will be fun to try it soon. It's hard to resist hot biscuits dripping with butter!
I've always made freezer biscuits since there are only two of us and my biscuits never turn out delicious...Thanks for sharing a successful recipe. :)
I made these biscuits with our dinner last night and they were a hit! The best biscuits I've ever made, and so easy too. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Post a Comment