On the Tenth Day of Christmas we remember the Synaxis of the Seventy Apostles
1. Read (or retell) pages 34 and 35 in Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas.
2. Place an Icon of the Apostles in a prominent place. It would be nice to add one to the centerpiece on the dining room table, on your feastday table, or in the icon corner.
3. Make Shepherd's Pie for Dinner (brown ground beef with chopped onion and make mashed potatoes. Spread the beef in the bottom of an oven proof pan and spread mashed potatoes on top. Serve with beef mushroom gravy generously ladled on top).
4. Make little boats out of walnut shells to float in the bathtub
5. Choose your favorite Christmas picture books and take a pile of them to read under a warm blanket on the couch. Nibble on homemade popcorn or another favorite treat as you enjoy them
Using Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas as a framework, I am going to plan little activities and readings for the Twelve Days of Christmas. Because of family obligations (we have two family parties back-to-back these next two days) and church events (Metropolitan Tikhon is visiting our parish this coming weekend!), we will not get to everything. However, it will be nice to refer to these Christmas Learning Baskets in future years. Also, I would love to hear your suggestions for things to add... this is a work in progress!
*Idea taken from Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas