|Photo by Subdeacon Roman Ostash|
On the Seventh Day of Christmas we remember Saint Basil the Great
1. Read (or retell) pages 28and 29 in Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas. Read any other books your family may have on Saint Basil.
2. Place an Icon of Saint Basil in a prominent place. It would be nice to add one to the centerpiece on the dining room table, on your feastday table, or in the icon corner
3. Serve a big family breakfast
4. Make paper snowflakes. We made ones out of coffee filters and cupcake liners for our windows, but I also want to try to make folded ones like these.
5. Bake a Vasilopita Bread (there is a recipe included in Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas, but here is one from An Orthodox Kitchen)
Using Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas as a framework, I am going to plan little activities and readings for the Twelve Days of Christmas. Because of family obligations (we have two family parties back-to-back these next two days) and church events (Metropolitan Tikhon is visiting our parish this coming weekend!), we will not get to everything. However, it will be nice to refer to these Christmas Learning Baskets in future years. Also, I would love to hear your suggestions for things to add... this is a work in progress!
*Idea taken from Celebrating the Twelve Days of Christmas