With the Summer Solstice just a few days away on June 21st, it is time to start freshening up your decor to reflect the warmer months of the year. Though I love to shop, it is always fun to see what you can come up with from what you already own. An easy way to get started is by looking through your favorite magazines and catalogs for inspiration. My favorites include: Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, Cottage Living (the British Edition), Victoria,, and Martha Stewart Living.
The next thing to do is to put away the decorations that don't evoke summery feeling to you. I've put our heavy throw blankets away and taken down a lot of my spring-y things (bunnies, bird's nests, eggs, etc.). On a side note, since I like decorating for the seasons so much, I have several large bins in the basement to keep my decorations organized, safe, and clean for the next time I need them.
Once you have a clean palette, consider these classic summer ideas for decorating your home:
- Strings of fun twinkle lights
- All things patriotic
- Fresh flowers
- Baskets for storage AND decoration
- Butterflies and Fireflies
- Books open to summery illustrations
- Fresh herbs in pots on the windowsill
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables in a bowl
- Jars or baskets with favorite games like dominoes or Bananagram letters
- A favorite straw hat or bag hanging on a peg
- Jars of rocks collected on a nature walk
What are your favorite ideas for summer decorating?