It may feel like summer today, but we WILL be eating beef stew and buttermilk biscuits on October 1st!
Best Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Yields: 12 biscuits, if you’re careful about apportioning out the dough
Time to make: ~25 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 stick + 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup buttermilk (I use 1 T. of white vinegar per cup of milk to make my own)
- parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Melt the 1 stick butter and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and the buttermilk, and stir until clumps form.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients until just incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a ¼ cup dry measure, scoop out and drop 12 balls of dough onto the baking sheet (this is easier if you spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray).
- Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 14 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits with the butter before serving.