- Soft lights
- No loud noise
- Talk to your infant in a calm and quiet voice
- Avoid too much stimulation
- Limit objects in the crib
- Handle your baby slowly and smoothly
- Bundle your baby when picking her up so that arms and legs are tucked in
- Help your baby bring their hands near their face
- No fast movements with the baby
- Hum or sing softly to your baby
- Allow your baby to sleep without interruption [Emily's note: Duh!]
As I read this list, it occurred to me that we could all benefit from a home that provides these things (soft lights, quiet, a calm atmosphere, organization, limited clutter, and gentleness). I know that it isn't always possible to keep a peaceful atmosphere in our homes, but a lot of it has to do with how the adults conduct themselves. There is a huge difference in our home when I am running trying to get too many things done, panicking at the slightest setback and when I am moving around calmly doing what I can to keep things going smoothly and happily in our home.
What do you do to cultivate a peaceful, calm, and happy home?